To open a bank account it requires presentation of valid identification cards or IDs. This is true for BPI, BDO, Unionbank, Metrobank, Security Bank, and all other banks. Some banks accept one ID but most of the big universal banks require presentation of 2 valid IDs.
It doesn’t matter if you are opening an ATM account, a passbook savings account, a checking account, peso or dollar account, even a cash card or prepaid card – all these will require that you bring your IDs when you go to the bank for account opening purposes.
If you already have an existing account in a bank, are you still required to present your IDs? YES.
This iSensey post will focus on the IDs accepted by Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI). This list is updated as of May 21, 2020.
Check the list and prepare your IDs if you want to open an account with any of their branch. The IDs must be valid and not expired. Expired IDs are not acceptable.
- Passport including those issued by foreign governments
2. Driver’s license
3. Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) ID
4. Postal ID
5. Voter’s ID
6. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
7. Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) e-Card
8. Social Security System (SSS) card or UMID
9. Senior Citizen card
10. Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) ID
11. Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) ID
12. Government office and Government-owned and Controlled Corporation (GOCC) ID (e.g., Philippine National Police, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF) IDs)
13. ID issued by the National Council on Disability Affairs
14. Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) ID
15. Company IDs issued by private entities or institutions registered with or supervised or regulated either by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or Insurance Commission (IC)
16. PhilHealth Health Insurance Card ng Bayan
17. National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance
18. Police Clearance
19. Barangay Certification
20. Seaman’s Book
21. Alien Certificate of Registration / Immigrant Certificate of Registration
22. Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Certification
23. Professional ID cards issued by Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA)
Bring 2 valid IDs when you go visit a BPI branch to open an account.
For students who wish to open an account in BPI, iSensey suggest you call first the branch to ask for possible ID alternatives from the list above.
But based on what we know, generally if you are still a student and you wish to open a bank account, you can bring your school ID AND your registration form for the current school year.
Aside from the IDs, there are still other opening requirements. It’s best to contact a BPI branch first so you can ask their customer service representative for details about the complete requirements needed from you to open an account with their branch.
Go open a BPI regular savings, ATM, passbook, checking, Kaya Savings, Padala Moneyger, and more, and start saving funds.