The Philippine Government offers a scholarship program for the brightest and deserving students through DOST – SEI or the Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute.
This scholarship offering was sign into law under Republic Act 7687 or RA 7687. DOST will award Bachelor of Science degree scholarships to students who plans to take up any of the “priority courses” as identified by DOST-SEI, for study placement in select schools.
You can download the application form from the website of DOST. Check the college scholarship requirements and exam coverage here.
Below shows the list of college courses allowed under the DOST Scholarship Program for the undergraduate. Kindly take note that some degrees are applicable to be taken only either in UP System or in DLSU, this is already indicated beside the course for your guidance.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE COURSES
These are the DOST priority degrees for RA 7687 Scholarship offerings, the focus is on mathematics, science, and engineering courses:
- Agricultural Biotechnology (at UP System only)
- Agricultural Chemistry
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (at UP System only)
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Ceramics Engineering
- Chem w/ Applied Computer System
- Chem w/ Materials Sci. & Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering (at UP System only)
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Food Technology
- Geodetic Engineering
- Geothermal Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Management Engineering -IT (at DLSU only)
- Information Technology
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering Management-Biomedical Engineering (at DLSU only)
- Manufacturing Engineering Management- Mechatronics & Robotics (at DLSU only)
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mathematics Teaching
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
- Applied Physics w/ Applied Computer System
- Applied Physics w/ Materials Science & Engineering
- Science Teaching (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physical Science)
Popular college courses like Nursing, Accountancy, Business Management, Marketing and Commerce, Mass Communication are NOT included in the DOST Scholarship offerings.
When it says “at UP System only” this means that the student must enroll in a UP campus that offers said undergraduate course. This also means that the students must passed the UPCAT Entrance exam of the University of the Philippines PLUS the DOST Scholarship Qualifying Exam.
This is similar scenario with the degree tagged as “at DLSU only”. The student must enroll in a De La Salle University campus offering the course like “Manufacturing Engineering Management- Mechatronics & Robotics”
If the school is not identified as either UP or DLSU, then the DOST passer and qualified student can enroll in any school that meets any of the following requirements:
a.1 State universities and colleges.
a.2 Tertiary institutions identified as Centers of Excellence or Centers of Development by CHED for the priority Science & Technology courses.
a.3 DOST-SEI identified network institutions.
What will you get if you become a DOST Scholar?
These are the privileges given to DOST scholars including info on stipend allowance.
- Tuition and other school fees – P10,000 per semester or P8,000 per trimester.
- Book allowance in the amount of P10,000 per year.
- MS / PE Uniform (1st semester of First Year only) allowance of P500.
- Transportation allowance for student grantees who will study outside of their home province – 1 economy-class round trip fare.
- Monthly Living Allowance for students enrolled in Bachelor of Science in Physics, Applied Physics, Physics Teaching, Geology, and Mining – P5,000 per month.
- Other DOST-SEI priority courses allowance is P4,000 per month.
- Summer Allowance (if required per curriculum) for Tuition and other school fees – P1,500
- Book Allowance (second) – P500 (official receipt must be submitted)
- Post – graduation clothing allowance of P1,000
Find out if you meet all the DOST Scholarship Application Requirements and Eligibility. If you do, apply as soon as DOST-SEI accepts undergraduate scholarship application for the next school year.
We hope that you will pass the qualifying exam and be one of the recipient of DOST scholarship!
Info sourced for this article is from DOST – SEI website. The iSensey team aims to spread the info on this available college scholarship as our way of helping the government reach potential students especially those far from the metro.
LIKE and SHARE!!!