What does it take to start an online freelance career? Can you start working online if you have zero experience in online work? YES.
Do you need to know anyone already freelancing as a Virtual Assistant (VA), writer, transcriptionist, video editor, data encoder, research staff, graphic artist, website admin, etc., to help you start your own online career? NO.
What is needed then?
BEFORE GETTING HIRED
- The “go, go, push on, push” attitude wherein you are very willing to scour as many job hiring sites you can and apply to promising job postings.
- The willingness to start at low-paying jobs while you learn the ropes.
- The practical mindset to apply only to jobs that you know you can deliver above par performance, before you try applying to jobs requiring skills you don’t have yet. YOU NEED TO BUILD A WINNING PROFILE FIRST which means gathering good feedbacks and 5-star ratings from client-employers.
- You must have the needed work tools: Laptop or Computer and a Reliable internet connection.
ONCE YOU ARE HIRED
- The discipline to do the work required on time, every time. MEET DEADLINES ALWAYS.
- The willingness to go for the extra mile, i.e. if you are hired as a VA handling support desk, you can adjust your work-start-time to cover the shift of a co-worker who got sick. If the employer asks you to write 350 word-articles, you don’t stop at 350 words strictly.
- The openness to expand your skill sets.
Building an Online Freelancer Career
Online client will not ask you to submit your diploma or TOR or ask if you graduated from a big university. They don’t care about this, what they mostly care about your attitude towards work, your time availability along with your rate, and a sample of your previous work (i.e., if you have work previously).
But if you don’t have any experience, that is okay. There are hiring managers who are willing to give you a chance especially if your skype interview performance was exemplary.
Work vacancies are varied from full time to part-time to per project basis or as needed. Stay at home moms as well as students can even apply for part-time online work.
Majority of clients looking for VAs, article writers, video editors, graphic creators, etc are on the other side of the world, USA, Canada, Israel, Australia, Germany, UK, etc. There are some who are very particular about their hired freelancers to come work while they are online too, so if you are Philippine-based, this means the graveyard shift for a US client.
But you can also find clients who gives freedom and let you choose your own working time. Or do shifting arrangement especially if they have several online freelancers already working for them, as in the case of help desk staff manning.
The very important thing is to TAKE ACTION.
APPLY TO ONLINE JOBS NOW.
Visit the LEGIT outsourcing websites that offers opportunities for Filipinos interested to work online. You will sign-up to join them for FREE, then you need to build your profile indicating your strengths and what you can do.
Once your profile is complete, you can start posting your services or start applying for job vacancies in the field that fits your skills and/or experience.
More reference: JOB HIRING SITES WHERE YOU CAN FIND ONLINE WORK
Like and Share!